Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Baby Library

While I was pregnant with GiGi I read numerous books, but I found "On Becoming Babywise" -  Garry Ezzo, M.D. & Robert Bucknam and "The Happiest Baby on the Block" - Harvey Karp, M.D. to be the most informative and the ones that I continue to refer back to.  



"Babywise" was great for helping me to establish a healthy sleep pattern for GiGi and it also helped me to stabilize my milk production ... yep, I'm a breastfeeding mamma ... and "Happiest Baby on the Block" was great for providing me with ways to calm a crying baby.  I did not have any experience with babies before having my own so I needed some tools in my toolbox for those nights when she would be crying and I would be at my wits end ... thank goodness for Dr. Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block"!  

As I was reading this book, I came across a list titled "Ten Ways to Keep Your Baby Safe in Bed With You" ... now, we do not "co-sleep" with GiGi in our bed, it actually TERRIFIES me -- be watching for a post about this terrifying topic -- but I almost threw this book in the trash after reading #9 on the list - "9. Always go to bed sober" ... REALLY!?!?!? ... when I read this I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever read and almost threw this book in the trash  ... I'm glad I didn't because the 5 S's have really come in handy!  

The 5 S's are five things you can do to calm your crying baby: 

1. Swaddling-tight wrapping, 
2. Side/Stomach-laying a baby on her side or stomach, 
3. Shushing-loud white noise, 
4. Swinging-rhythmic, jiggly motion and 
5. Sucking-sucking anything from the breast or finger to a pacifier (pg. 11).  

Numbers 1, 3 and 4 have been the most calming for GiGi ... she actually does not nap or go down at night not tightly wrapped in her Halo Sleepsack Swaddling Blanket.

 


She LOVES it and sleeps so much better and longer when she is swaddled! Dr. Karp discusses each "S" in detail and also provides a wonderfully comprehensive breakdown of colic ... all in all, this is a great book and a wonderful resource for all mommies and daddies-to-be!!!!


Gigi swaddled and in her swing ... double whammy!!  Also note that she's strapped in ... you can never be too careful! :)
GiGi so happy in her Halo Sleepsack Swaddle blanket!
Until Next Time,

Don't forget to enter the Pint-Sized giveaway!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...