Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Can you improve a classic?

Someone emailed a request to post my fave off-registry gifts L received.  I am more than happy to share and hopefully give you some unique, baby shower gift ideas. 

I still love all the books I grew up reading...The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Are You My Mother to name a couple.  I would consider these books classics since they have stood the test of time, but can you improve a classic?  This is not always easy and you could easily offend your original audience.  Just look at Saved by the Bell: The New Class.  They were never going to be as cool as the original gang!  Trying to replace Screech with Weasel, come on!

The powers that be have managed, however, to do a GREAT job improving these popular children's books.  They enhanced the reading experience without changing the storyline and pictures.  They now sell them complete with a stuffed animal character from the book.  I long for the day when L is cuddled up in my lap hugging her Caterpillar begging for me to read the The Very Hungry Caterpillar to her.

 The Goodnight Moon Gift Set comes as a prepackaged gift set for $11.55

Are you My Mother comes as a prepackaged gift set for $16.95


The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Plush Toy comes as a prepackaged gift set for $11.55.

You could give one of these individually or even buy all three of them as a gift basket for a total of only $40.  I think the perceived value is way higher than that! 

Another way they have improved on The Very Hungry Caterpillar, the Pop-Up Book...How much fun!  My sister gave me one and I love it! 



I applaud all of these improvements on these classics.  Anything that can improve the reading experience for your child is a plus in my book (no pun intended)!

Also, please see this great post by my friend, KK, at Small Town Lovin on creating a reading space for your child.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...